Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Specification

Somehow my Phoenix link was taken down from mediafire as well as my blog post. I did not do this, but I wanted to clarify that my intent behind this gesture was in response to an 'Of Montreal' article i read suggesting that if you haven't paid for music, to atleast spread it to ten of your friends because they had seen a direct correlation to larger crowds at shows due to their exposure to the bands music, which in turn makes the bands more money off of the door and merch sales, so i felt like sharing. I have always believed that if you don't like something you hear, you shouldn't have to buy it, however, if you DO love a record, then buy it. It's a tough economy, but i still support those bands i love and so should you. We all know that buying a bands cd really only benefits the record label, in the financial sense, atleast. It's gotta look great to see that a band on your label sold 2 million copies as i'm sure that seeing those numbers pretty much locks up a band to a deal for a few more records. At any rate, these are my thoughts and i'd love to hear what yours are on this matter. Let me leave you with this thought...Recently, a shitty dive bar in Suffolk, "Randy's", had a suit brought against them by the RIAA for allowing bands to play cover songs in his bar. The owner of the bar was found guilty in court and ordered to pay something in the neighborhood of $14,000 for the infraction. Is it just me or is this just insane? How are artists from 30 and 40 years ago suffering from this? How is it not the "cover" band's fault? If i run a bar and hire bands to play (completely unaware of what the set includes), how am i responsible for their setlist? I was recently informed that you can pay a $1500/year fee to allow cover bands to play in your bar...but who the hell knew that? It just looks desperate to me and it pisses me off that this guys crappy ass bar has to now fold (most likely) because he let some mulletheads in Suffolk rock out and have a good time.

Thoughts??


Much Love

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty crappy. Musicians make squat from record sales and everything from concert sales and merchandise sales. Spreading music, free or $$, spreads the word. Free, IMO, spreads it a lot faster and little better. I've already got 2 people hooked on that album and they're likely to share with multiple people as well. I guarantee you if Phoenix plays here, both will go see the show, as will their friends.

    ReplyDelete